Saturday 23 March 2013

Strip piecing for a cause

I love string quilts. They're true scrap quilts,
using up bits and pieces
and somehow looking great in the end.
And string quilts motivated me to start this blog
and inspired the name as well.

I've  been making 6 by 12 inch string blocks recently,
because it's easy to cut around the ruler.

I even use the off cuts to make more blocks.

I'm using up a variety of fabrics,
and even some extra wide selvages.

So far I have 20 blocks on the wall. I'm hoping to make enough
and gather some more from my local quilting friends
to make two single quilts for a local cause.

I'm linking up to Judy's Design Wall Mondays.

7 comments:

Teri said...

Love how that looks when you hang them all together.

cspoonquilt said...

Great idea Brenda, I've been into bar quilts this passed year. They are sooo versatile and go great with you 6" wide units! cheers, Claire W.

Taos Sunflower said...

Those look like fun to do when you don't know what else to start on. I like the idea of working with rectangles, also. Another good idea, thanks.

Nann said...

The overall effect is wonderful. I agree with you about making blocks the size of the ruler. Much simpler that way!

Rhonda said...

This is an excellent idea and a great way to get rid.....use up those pesky scraps....LOL
Looking good Brenda!

Julianne said...

I love string quilts..I have a tub for strings for just this sort of thing..Lovely

Kris said...

Those are great...such good work!

Total Pageviews

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
>