Thursday 30 May 2013

It's my party and I'll defy if I want to



Last month when I posted about this quilt,
every one who commented told me the same thing:
it needs more quilting lines.
 
 
I don't disagree, but I defied all of you for one reason:
the minkee stuff on the back made quilting it a huge problem.

It already ripples despite the spray basting,
and it was difficult getting the quilt to move along the machine bed.
 
So I bound it, and I'm calling it finished.

In a perfect world, I would put in more quilting stitches. But this quilt marks the end of a relationship for a friend, who is taking back her family name of "Merry". She has mixed feelings about it all.
Life isn't perfect, and neither is this quilt. Yes, it could be better, but I think it's still a fun, cuddly, and affirming quilt. I know my friend will like it. And I've learned a few lessons too: minkee or fleece isn't the best backing for a quilt that needs heavy quilting, and don't ask a question if you don't want to hear the answer.

And so I defied all of you and didn't quilt it more. But today's my birthday -- so I'm taking to heart the message on the quilt: Be Merry!

9 comments:

Heidi said...

happy birthday, Brenda :-) Have a great day ! you are right, it's a very fun quilt !
Howdy from Texas ;-)

Quiltdivajulie said...

A Very Merry Un-Birthday to You, to YOU! Especially because it's your REAL birthday.

Nina Lise@Mrs Moen said...

Happy birthday, Brenda! Fleece type backings do certainly not invite heavy and elaborate quilting designs, more like simple slightly curvy lines with a walking foot...

Michele said...

Happy birthday! What a happy quilt. I love it.

~Niki~ said...

don't let the quilt police drag you down! it's your quilt. your work. beautiful!

Tonya Ricucci said...

ooh, Minkee. that will be wonderful to cuddle under. she'll love it.

Barb said...

You are right, it is your party....looks great!

Empty Closet Quilting said...

Finished is good! Love the quilt!

Kathy said...

Looks like it has enough quilting to me!

Total Pageviews

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
>