Friday 8 November 2013

Double Friday finish!

At a retreat last weekend, I  worked on two string quilts.
I squared off and bound the top left one
and quilted and bound the bottom one.
These are two of four I've put together for a local charity,
using 6 by 12 inch string blocks from my local quilting friends.


My guild friend Bonnie long armed the yellow and orange one
in an edge to edge pattern,
more visible if you double click the close-up below.


I packed up my Juki for the retreat, and powered through the blue quilt,
using my walking foot for straight-line stitching on either side of the vertical seams.


I freemotioned designs in each column,
inspired by motifs in Christina Cameli's 
First Steps to Free Motion Quilting.

Christina's blog tutorial improved my fmq skills, 
and her book is fabulous.



Yesterday I took the three finished quilts out for a photo shoot on the lawn.
(The fourth is pieced, but not yet quilted.)

We're still snow-free in Winnipeg, although snow is sure to come soon.

Here you can see that each quilt has a slightly different colourway:
From top: yellow/orange; blue/red; pink/purple.

I'm linking up with Sarah and Amanda.


12 comments:

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

What a great use of scraps. Wonderful idea for charity quilts.

Anonymous said...

They are all fabulous! I love that are so many fabrics in these!
Esther

Tonya Ricucci said...

wonderful quilts - love 'em

beth said...

Oooh! I love those string quilts!

Sam said...

Gorgeous quilts, :)

Nifty Quilts said...

Gorgeous! All three! Some people will be very lucky to receive these.

Schulz Family said...

visiting from crazy mum quilts. You have been very busy

Kat said...

I really like these string quilts! Congrats on the finishes.

Brenda said...

Wow, all three are lovely, love the different color ways, fabulous scrap busters!

Helen in the UK said...

Loving all that scrappy colour :)

Allison said...

great quilts! I love that they are so full of different fabrics, yet have distinct color schemes different from each other

~Niki~ said...

oooh I love these xo
just my style of quilts I like to make

Total Pageviews

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
>