Wednesday 26 February 2014

I must have missed a step to the courthouse

Since Saturday I've been building large blocks
in traditional pattern called Steps to the Courthouse.
These blocks finish at 23 inches
and they're made in a strip-pieced quilt as you go style.
I was inspired by Christina who figured out how to combine the quilt as you go method 
with long skinny batting scraps.


I decided to take the idea one step further and make traditional blocks with them.

So far I've made four, which would make a baby blanket.
Six would make a decent sized throw.
Here are the four together, and I'm not loving it.
I like the blocks individually,
but they mush together as a group.

Here they are set with the alternate ones flipped 90 degrees.
Is that any better?


What can I do to make it look better?
Add another strip of the light?
put solids between?

I'm linking up with TNTN WIP Wednesdays


10 comments:

Emily Breclaw said...

I like the second layout where they alternate! Maybe a bright sashing between them, but it has a great scrappy look already!!

Nina Lise@Mrs Moen said...

My suggestion would be to make an opposite second set of blocks (light centre) - like you do with 9 patches. You'll have many different layouts when alternating the two sets of blocks. That is what I have done when making court house step blocks.

Margaret said...

I've never before seen this block with narrow sashing between the sections. Your use of this sashing breaks up the interior of each individual block, and so either needs to be repeated or removed...I think.

Quiltdivajulie said...

I like the second layout better than the first.

Perhaps you could try four blocks with the skinny sashing being the same color in each to unify and make it more about the strings (instead of the variety of sashing colors).

Lori R. said...

I'm a big fan of on point settings. You could do it with wide sashings or solid squares (OR squares that read solid). Then each of your strippy blocks would shine.

cspoonquilt said...

Hey Brenda! That is so clever, and I like all the colors you used. That quilt as you go is a great idea especially when you can use scraps of batting! cheers, Claire W.

West Michigan Quilter said...

Love this block. What a great way to use scraps. I can't wait to show it to my Happy Scrappers group.

Regina said...

Alternate lay-out with sashing would look really good. Great blocks!

Will Cook for Shoes said...

Before I got to the end of your post, I was totally thinking that a white piece of fabric in-between each block would be stellar!! Lay it out and post for us! Pretty please. :)

Will Cook for Shoes said...

Wasn't finished with my thoughts before I posted. :) I think a white strip would give the eye a place to rest and would actually highlight each block a little more. Can't wait to see how you move forward on this one.

Total Pageviews

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin
>